Sunday, April 20, 2008

Allen Ginsberg


Allen Ginsberg. I like the way that he uses humor very often in his poetry. When I first read the piece, before listening to the audio, there were many lines that I would not have noticed humor unless it was read. For example, “I don’t feel good don’t bother me” was a line where I sensed a sort of whining in his poetry. I am not sure if his goal was to have this feeling throughout the poem, but I did notice that it did come to me that he had a whiny voice to some of his comments. I find that sort of tone to be quite hilarious. Having to read or talk about something almost serious about his own life, then suddenly says something like “I am talking to myself again”. Ginsberg has a slightly different style than Saul Williams. Saul Williams has a more demanding tone rather than Ginsberg’s more casual tone. Albeit they have different performance styles their content is somewhat similar. They both talk about society and how it is affecting them. I find that Williams seems to focus his work on a call to the people. Hence the “coded language” are lessons from people of the past who’s work, accomplishments, and events that we people today should learn from. I find these poets to be more dissimilar than alike, but I do enjoy listening to both.

No comments: